Thursday: This was our last day on campus for the week. This morning was much better than the last, I think that everyone got a second wind after the difficulty of the previous day. My group certainly did! Jason was with me while Cari and Keegan were on their own for the first part of the day. We had two conversations with two different groups of guys eating in the cafe. The first did not speak very good english, but were friendly and encouraged us to stay and talk with them. They did not believe in God, but they were not opposed to the idea of a possible relationship with a God if there was one.
This is something that I have found to be common. Most people will say that there is no God, but they will talk about a "higher power" or something above them. If they don't even do that then they will talk about being a good person and giving justice and kindness to everyone. While they leave God out of their perspective, they cannot escape the "moral code" that C.S. Lewis talks about in Mere Christianity, nor the desire or interest in a "higher power."
The second conversation was much like the first, except they spoke better english. Jimmy and Pete were their names as close as I could tell and they were able to explain to Jason and me what had happened yesterday with the club rivalry. There are three sports clubs that all play futbol, basketball and volleyball. Their followings are very much like gangs. They have territory and rules and "firms" (anyone who has seen the movie Green Street Hooligans will understand) that will follow the team around and fight the other clubs supporters. Jason was blown away that things like that happen over a sport. Its a good reminder how different Europe is, and a taste of the passion that most people hide. Jimmy btw is one of the only Greeks I have met or even heard about that doesn't like coffee! Its a rarity. Even I like Greek coffee...yep, thats right, I have had at least one cup of STRONG Greek coffee every day that I have been here. But don't get your hopes up...I'll conquer the headaches when I get back...American coffee just isn't the same.
After that conversation, Jason felt like he should go hook up with another group. Anna and Catherine had been having a rough morning, rejection after rejection, God knew and sent Jason to encourage them. I got back together with Cari and Keegan and we played Salarium, a picture game that helps to start conversations, with each other and really got to know each other better, and how each of us relates to God. It was a very good experience even though we didn't have anyone come ask to play or join us.
We left campus encouraged that God was gonna work in the lives of the people we had talked to and would give us favor to have second appointments with the ones who really cared about learning more about Him. We debriefed and told stories at the stinters' apartment and went back to the hostle to relax before our busy weekend. This weekend we will be going to Porto Astro, a Christian camp on the sea, to fix it up and prepare it for the upcoming months of camps that will be using its fascilities.
This is something that I have found to be common. Most people will say that there is no God, but they will talk about a "higher power" or something above them. If they don't even do that then they will talk about being a good person and giving justice and kindness to everyone. While they leave God out of their perspective, they cannot escape the "moral code" that C.S. Lewis talks about in Mere Christianity, nor the desire or interest in a "higher power."
The second conversation was much like the first, except they spoke better english. Jimmy and Pete were their names as close as I could tell and they were able to explain to Jason and me what had happened yesterday with the club rivalry. There are three sports clubs that all play futbol, basketball and volleyball. Their followings are very much like gangs. They have territory and rules and "firms" (anyone who has seen the movie Green Street Hooligans will understand) that will follow the team around and fight the other clubs supporters. Jason was blown away that things like that happen over a sport. Its a good reminder how different Europe is, and a taste of the passion that most people hide. Jimmy btw is one of the only Greeks I have met or even heard about that doesn't like coffee! Its a rarity. Even I like Greek coffee...yep, thats right, I have had at least one cup of STRONG Greek coffee every day that I have been here. But don't get your hopes up...I'll conquer the headaches when I get back...American coffee just isn't the same.
After that conversation, Jason felt like he should go hook up with another group. Anna and Catherine had been having a rough morning, rejection after rejection, God knew and sent Jason to encourage them. I got back together with Cari and Keegan and we played Salarium, a picture game that helps to start conversations, with each other and really got to know each other better, and how each of us relates to God. It was a very good experience even though we didn't have anyone come ask to play or join us.
We left campus encouraged that God was gonna work in the lives of the people we had talked to and would give us favor to have second appointments with the ones who really cared about learning more about Him. We debriefed and told stories at the stinters' apartment and went back to the hostle to relax before our busy weekend. This weekend we will be going to Porto Astro, a Christian camp on the sea, to fix it up and prepare it for the upcoming months of camps that will be using its fascilities.
No comments:
Post a Comment