The first day of an international trip is always longer than expected. After an evening of briefing and embarrassing ice breakers and get to know you games, my team and I had gone to bed expecting the full day and a half of travel that started at 630 may 24th. One of the leaders, Jeff, was getting up to workout and I decided to join him. Despite having to get up at 545 am the workout was perhaps the best thing I could have done. Most importantly it helped remove my travel worries that often accompany me to the airport. The flight to Chicago, the first leg, was quick and painless. After a two hour layover at O'hare which could have been disastrous, we boarded the 767 bound for Frankfurt. Another easy flight, no turbulence, no crying babies (even the leader's 2 and 4 year olds were troopers!), my video screen worked, and I slept for four out of the 7.5 hours!!! The four hour layover in Frankfurt was fun even though it was 545 am the next day may 25, (9 pm may 24 st. Louis time) as the kids entertained us with parties and skits and candy. The first sign of trouble came on the 2 hour flight to Athens. No one slept and it was a tight euro plane packed with many smells and interesting sounds. (babies, German, Greek, Hebrew, Japanese, disgruntled couple). Finally we arrived in Athens. We were greeted by some very energetic interns with agape student ministries, the branch of ccc internationally and taken on an hour long PACKED metro ride and four blocks to the hostle. Strangely I had energy for all that plus two meals. One a family style four course meal for lunch (330 pm, 730 am stl) and gelato for supper. Through all of this crazy travel and the beginning of a five week cultural and missional experience God was SO present. From the moment I woke up to work out, to riding the shuttle to the airport, through security, all the flights and layovers, God's presence was tangibly with us! The whole team could sense it I think as no one could stop smiling and working hard to keep things running smoothly. God is so good and every step I take I know God is setting up the next one with people to talk to and love on.
Even though we had just gotten off the plane and were all hoping to sleep, we hiked to Mars Hill, where Paul spoke to the Athenians in Acts 17. With the Parthenon right there and a view of the old part of the city it was hard not to imagine Paul speaking 2000 years ago. A thought struck me as we were praying for our trip and the hearts of the Athenians. God specifically sent Paul here and gave him words to say to the Athenians. Since that time they have fallen away from God. BUT, here we are in the same place for the same purpose, sent by the same God to these people. God has a PLAN for this city. A city situated on the threshold of Africa, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. The picture I got was a launch pad, prepped and ready to launch but with only the shell of a rocket on it. I BELIEVE that God has sent the agape team and campus crusade to Greece to show the people how to finish the rocket and blast into the regions surrounding Greece!?
Even though we had just gotten off the plane and were all hoping to sleep, we hiked to Mars Hill, where Paul spoke to the Athenians in Acts 17. With the Parthenon right there and a view of the old part of the city it was hard not to imagine Paul speaking 2000 years ago. A thought struck me as we were praying for our trip and the hearts of the Athenians. God specifically sent Paul here and gave him words to say to the Athenians. Since that time they have fallen away from God. BUT, here we are in the same place for the same purpose, sent by the same God to these people. God has a PLAN for this city. A city situated on the threshold of Africa, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe. The picture I got was a launch pad, prepped and ready to launch but with only the shell of a rocket on it. I BELIEVE that God has sent the agape team and campus crusade to Greece to show the people how to finish the rocket and blast into the regions surrounding Greece!?
No comments:
Post a Comment